Saturday, March 12, 2011

sow it begins.

I am back from hibernation and hungry for vegetables. The first batch of lettuce and tomato seeds are in dirt and waiting for the sun to heat things up. 


I've been saving my cardboard egg cartons all winter. I can stick them right in the dirt when the seedlings are ready for a bigger home, I don't disturb the roots and the cardboard adds nutrients.


 I'm eager to get things going and growing so I'm using a regular seed starting soil, but once the garden is in full swing I'll be more particular and use a mix of peat moss and my own compost. 


Keep seeds moist at all times. Have the tray in water that way not to disturb the temperamental seeds. Follow instructions on packages for happy sprouting.


I'm keeping a close record of everything I've planted, so I can repeat the successful varieties. 


Yum, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment